Usually around this time every year the Sultan Qaboos Islamic Center brings an english-speaking Sheikh to town to help raise awareness. This year, Sheikh Khalid Yasin was invited.
Sheikh Khalid Yasin is from New York and is a former Christian who converted to Islam in 1964, he has dedicated his time to constantly touring the world delivering talks aimed at raising awareness and removing distortions about Islam. So far he has given 2 talks here titled "The Purpose of Life" and "The Modern Challenges of Life", which resulted in around 15 non-muslims accepting Islam right after his talk, mashallah. He is also conducting a 10 day da3wa course for those who are interested.
Its rare you find a Sheikh that really keeps you interested throughout the entire time. I respect him for his ability to really get through to people using his sense of humor. For anyone who has not heard Sheikh Khalid talking, I recommend you check out the videos on youtube. His talks are straight up stand-up comedy material.
I got the opportunity to speak to him after one of his talks and invited him to Libya. We exchanged contact details so hopefully sometime in the near future, I could organize a trip for him to Libya so he could give some of his insightful talks.

No comments:
Post a Comment